Financial Aid Guide

Your college education is a crucial investment in your future. We are committed to helping you climb while making sound financial choices.

Guide to Financial Aid

Financial Aid Counselors

Counselors are assigned to students by last name.  You may contact them directly with any questions you may have regarding your aid.

Student Last NameCounselorPhone - Email - Calendly Link
A-CPhillip Hutnick-Kenenitz 570-389-4499
D-GAmy Bowman570-484-2031
H-LRachel Green570-662-4854
M-QTristan Dzoch570-389-4496
R-SStephanie Weaver 570-484-2306
T-ZEdward Mooney570-389-4494

Financial Aid Offices

  • Email the Financial Aid Team
  • Bloomsburg: 570-389-4297 - 106 Arts & Administration Building
  • Lock Haven: 570-484-2424 - 224 Ulmer Hall
  • Mansfield: 570-662-4129 - 231 South Hall

Frequently Asked Questions

While the process of applying for financial aid and paying for college may be daunting, we're here to help. We've compiled answers to some of the most frequently asked questions below, but don't hesitate to contact us.  Please email questions and we will reply as soon as possible.  Please note that students must have a completed (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act) release for us to disclose information to anyone other than the student.

When emailing the Financial Aid office, DO NOT include any sensitive data such as social security numbers, date of birth, etc.  If you are a current student or an applicant, please include your university ID number in your email.

Email Us

Financial aid helps students and families/supporters pay for college. It may consist of grants, scholarships, work study and even loans. The first step is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). 

Due to the passing of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Simplification Act on December 27, 2020, as a part of the Consolidated Appropriations Act, the FAFSA is changing for the 2024-2025 aid year.

You can expect the following changes:

  • The 2024-2025 FAFSA will not be available until December 2023.
  • The 2024-2025 FAFSA determines your financial aid eligibility for summer 2024, fall 2024 and spring 2025 terms.
  • The FAFSA application process will be streamlined and easier for students to complete.
  • New terminology will be added to the FAFSA.
  • Pennsylvania residents should complete the FAFSA by June 1 for potential state aid eligibility through PHEAA (Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency). After completion of the FAFSA, PHEAA will email you a link to access their GrantUs portal to complete the state grant application. Not a PA resident? Contact your state's higher education assistance agency to explore potential options.  

Please use your first-choice campus Federal Title IV Code on the FAFSA:
Commonwealth University - Bloomsburg: 003315
Commonwealth University - Lock Haven: 003323
Commonwealth University - Mansfield: 003324

YES! Eligibility for federal student aid does not carry over from one award year to the next. You will need to complete the FAFSA for each award year for which you plan to be a student, including summer. Keep in mind that financial circumstances change from year to year. If something substantial changes, please contact us by email or by phone.

  • Bloomsburg 570-389-4297
  • Lock Haven 570-484-2424
  • Mansfield 570-662-4129

If at any time during the year your family has a major change in their/your financial or family circumstances, be sure to contact us! We can’t always increase your aid but we’re happy to consider new information if things have significantly changed. 

Special Condition Form

This process is mandated by the U.S. Department of Education to confirm the accuracy of the information reported on the FAFSA. It does not mean that you did anything wrong but is simply a data check that our office must conduct. We will send emails to your university email address if information is required from you. Generally, you'll be required to upload supporting documentation to our secure portal such as federal taxes, household size, number of students from your family in college, etc. Financial aid cannot be paid until the verification requirements have been completed. If you don't submit the items requested, it will result in failure of funds being released.

Remember, loans are considered financial aid and must be paid back!

  • Step 1: Complete the FAFSA.
  • Step 2: Accept your loans on your self-service account. 
  • Step 3: Complete . 
  • Step 4: Complete the loan agreement.

Learn more

Students are always awarded with their maximum eligibility based on their qualification from the FAFSA. However, based on federal loan limits, you may not have enough funds to cover all of your educational costs. If you need additional funding beyond the aid you were awarded, you may consider a tuition payment plan, Federal Direct Parent/Grad PLUS loan, state loan, or a private educational alternative loan. We do not recommend who to use for private loan borrowing.
Learn More

Federal Direct Parent PLUS is a federal loan available to parents to borrow for their dependent, undergraduate student to help pay for educational expenses. It is based on a credit check with the interest rate predetermined by the federal government. It is important to note; the parent is the borrower of the loan and is responsible for repayment of the loan. Learn More

You are not required to pay towards the principal of your federal student loans while you are in school as long as you are enrolled at least half-time. There are no prepayment penalties for paying your federal student loans.  Interest will accrue on any non-subsidized loans while enrolled.   You can always make interest-only payments or pay on any portion of your loans while attending school if you choose.

 If you have private or state loans, check with your loan servicer as to repayment obligations.

The COA is basically your budget. It is the total average amount it will cost you to attend in an academic year and includes things like tuition, fees, housing, meals, books, course materials, supplies and equipment, transportation and personal expenses. The COA does not equal your actual tuition bill and varies from student to student.

In order to continue receiving federal student aid, you need to make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Essentially, you need to maintain a certain grade point average and complete enough classes in order to successfully complete your degree/certificate in the required time frame established by the university. Federal student aid includes grants, loans, and work-study. Learn More

Dropping or withdrawing from a course or from the university may affect your current and future financial aid. Before you make this decision, please email our office or give us a call. 

  • Bloomsburg 570-389-4297
  • Lock Haven 570-484-2424
  • Mansfield 570-662-4129

Learn More

Financial aid will be disbursed once the drop/add period has ended for the semester.

Learn More (Secure Login Using Network Credentials Required)

If your financial aid exceeds your university charges you may.  Please remember that refunds of excess financial aid do not occur until after the semester has started.  If your rent is due before this, you will need to work with your landlord. 

Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) Grants

Commonwealth University (formerly Bloomsburg University) received funds in accordance with the Higher Education Emergency Relief programs provided from the federal government during the COVID-19 crisis.  The reports for each section of funding can be found below.

illustration of Carver Hall
Carver Hall illustration inside a keystone shape

Additional Resources